Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Drama, Etc.

The past few shifts have gone relatively smoothly, which is nice. As I suspected when I first applied, working in a place with (mostly) attractive girls has its downsides, namely, a ton of drama.

I haven't had any real problems. On one of my first nights, the head wait snapped at me ("Is there any reason why you just ran my drinks to 24?"), but she apologized later, saying she usually doesn't care but they'd just sat down and she didn't want to look like a bad waitress. Other than that, I've steered clear. I keep my mouth shut, and people think I'm shy, but I'll take being perceived as shy and staying out of the drama over the alternative.

Saturday morning I got my first taste of the tension between some of the other girls (Okay, that's not true, last week one of the girls told another that she was "really upset" with her because the second girl had served the first girl's fiance and he didn't like the service or some crap, but that's another story). One of our servers is a really cute girl. She, like a lot of the other girls, including myself, is in college, but unlike most of us, she's at a school about four hours away from the store. So every two weeks she drives back after her Friday morning class, works all weekend, and drives back Sunday night. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Anyway, one of the really Mean Girls was complaining about it for who knows what reason as soon as she came in. The girl was a little bit late, and after Bitchy McBitchface finished going on about "blah blah blah why would you drive four hours to come in to work?" to her equally bitchy posse, we were punting paper towel rolls for section picks, in honor of the first day of college football.

Well Bitch didn't like the fact that our Head Wait wasn't making the other girl pick last since she was late. We never really adhere to that "rule", but all of a sudden it was the most important thing in the world, regardless of the fact that Bitch has come in late and drunk on occasion.

The other girl didn't even really know what to think. She offered to pick last but they just wanted something to complain about, and they continued to do so for the rest of the day.

Meanwhile, our bartender pointed out to one of the other girls in the posse that her hair "looked like a catastrophe". Not the words I would have used, but she's a corporate trainer, so if she thought she needed to point it out, that's fine and dandy. The other girl flipped out and so everyone was in a foul mood all day.

In other news...

I ended up working the rest of Labor Day weekend. I was cut on Sunday since it was so slow, and went home with only $3. Last night I did better, but I had one table that stiffed me! I guess there's a first time for everything, but I am so confused. They were one of my only tables, so I gave them good service. Their food came out quickly and nothing was wrong with it. I got them refills, and then they had the nerve to hand me $26.72 (that's right, PENNIES). Most people who don't tip usually duck out and leave the money on the table, but this woman and her husband (who was incapable of ordering for himself), straight counted her change in front of me and handed it to me. Ugh. Some people don't deserve to live. $2.13 an hour is not paying my rent, believe it or not.

So, the moral of these stories is TIP YOUR WAITRESS and don't start drama. Both are highly irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment